When using fireworks this Independence Day, Dr. Brad Scott, associate professor of surgery at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston recommends a number of safety tips.
Since many fireworks injuries occur in children, early education is the key. To keep the celebration safe:
- Have adult supervision.
- Use eye protection.
- Maintain distance once fireworks are lit.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Do not alter or relight fireworks.
- Do not wear loose clothing.
- Do not consume alcohol.
- Only light fireworks in permitted areas.
- Stay away from homes and dry areas.
- Adhere to drought restrictions.
In the event of accident, if burned and the burn is small and looks similar to a sunburn, wash it with cold water and apply a light dressing. If the area bubbles or is a waxy texture, visit the emergency room right away. If an eye injury occurs, wash it out with water, do not put anything on it, avoid scratching or rubbing the area and visit a doctor to have it examined.blog comments powered by Disqus