Parent meeting planned for special needs baseball teamMISSION—The Mission Boys & Girls Club has started to move forward with its adaptive baseball program...17 May 2013Read More...
May 25 – The Edinburg World Birding Center will host Kathy Pechacek, owner of River’s End Nursery, in a program, “Prickly Pear Harvesting and Jelly Making,” at 2 p.m. Cost is $3 for EWBC members and $5 for non-members. Space is limited; reservations are required. EWBC is located at 714 Raul Longoria Rd. For more information, call 381-9922.
May 29 – The Upper Valley Art League is offering children’s art classes on Wednesdays beginning May 29 and ending July 3 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. for ages 6 to 12. Class size is limited to 15 students. Julio Rodriguez is the instructor for the series. The total cost is $60 per student, and supplies will be furnished. Advance registration and payment is required. Stop by the UVAL facility, 921 E. 12th St. in Mission during gallery hours. Call 583-2787 for further information.
May 30 – The Mission High School Class of 1994 is holding a fundraiser and planning meeting at the Mission Peter Piper Pizza on Thursday, May 30, according to classmate Angie Jimenez. Fifteen percent of all of orders with flyers that night will be donated to the reunion fund between 6 and 9 p.m. Look for the MHS colored balloons at the restaurant to obtain a flyer before placing an order. For more information, call 533-5595.
June 1-2 – Registration closes May 26 for Hog Dash 3 and Hog Dash Jr. in Weslaco. Proceeds from the event will benefit STARS Scholarships, the Weslaco Pride Foundation and Teach the Children. Spectators are welcomed to attend. The 5K Hog Dash 3 is filled with wall climbs, mud crawls, tire obstacles, tunnel crawls, hurdles, mud pits and more. Hog Dash Jr. is a 1-mile obstacle mud run for children ages 4 to 13. Registration is $60 and available online at www.hogdash.com. Late registration will be available on packet pick-up day on Thursday, May 30, at Matt’s Cash and Carry in Pharr, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. The entry fee will be $70 (cash only).
June 2 – Our Lady of St. John of the Fields Catholic Church will hold their annual Spring Jamaica fundraiser. It will be held at the church located at 1052 Washington St. from 5 to 10 p.m. with games, food, music, bingo and more. Call 585-2325 for more information.
- TOPS #415 (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), 3 p.m. weigh-in, Mission Historical Museum, 900 Doherty. For information, call Shirley Earp at 254-258-2380.
- AARP Driver Safety Classes, 12:30 p.m., Salvation Army, 1600 N. 23rd, McAllen. AARP members, $12; non-members, $14. Checks or money orders only. Class size limited to 15. For info, call 682-1468.
- Mission Lions Club meets at 12 p.m., Danny’s Mexican Restaurant, 122 W. Tom Landry. Meals are $8. Fellow Lions welcomed.
- Upper Valley Art League open painting for members, any medium, 9:30 a.m.- 1:30 p.m., 921 E. 12th St., Mission. Annual dues/$30. Call 583-2787 for info or to join.
- Bird Walk, 8:30-10:30 a.m. and Nature tour, 2-4 p.m., Bentsen-RGV State Park, 2800 S. Bentsen Palm Drive, Mission. Included in park admission. Call 584-9156 for info or to register.
- Mission Rotary Club, 12 p.m., Club at Cimarron, 1200 S. Shary Rd. Salad bar buffet, $10; Mexican food buffet, $15. All Rotarians welcomed.
- Dragonfly Walk, 1 p.m., and Butterfly Walk, 3 p.m.; Bentsen-RGV State Park, 2800 S. Bentsen Palm Drive, Mission. Included in park admission. Call 584-9156 for info or to register.
- Open clay/pottery group (coil method) meets 9 a.m. to noon, Upper Valley Art League, 921 E. 12th Street, Mission. Participants furnish their own clay or contribute toward purchasing. No instructor, no fee. UVAL membership required/$30 annually. Call 583-2787 for info.
- “Creatures of the Night,” 7 p.m., Bentsen-RGV State Park, 2800 S. Bentsen Palm Drive, Mission. Included in park admission. Pre-registration required; excursions limited to 20 persons. Call 584-9156 for info or to register.
- Bird Walk, 8:30-10:30 a.m. Bentsen-RGV State Park, 2800 S. Bentsen Palm Drive, Mission. Included in park admission. Call 584-9156 for info or to register.
The Progress Times is the hometown newspaper for the local communities of Mission, Sharyland, Alton, Palmview, La Joya and surrounding areas in Western Hidalgo County. We have a staff of veteran reporters who work diligently every week to bring our readers the latest news as it affects their hometown area and people.